Friday, November 4, 2011

Does social media use compromise the security of your home? [INFOGRAPHIC]

Do I have a Facebook account? Yes.
Do I share [sometimes useless] information with friends via status updates? I sure do!
Do I post when I’m about to leave my house unattended for an extended period of time? Uh, no.

Call me paranoid, but I’d rather not announce it to the world that there’s nobody home – no matter what security defenses are in place!

According to a survey by Credit Sesame, 78% of burglars use social media websites like Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare to target potential properties. So while you think it’s fun to check-in to places to visit in order to keep your friends up-to-date with all of your explorations, keep in mind that they’re not the only ones who take notice.

What’s worse is that 80% of first-time burglary attempts fail, which means that the thief must return later to finish what they started. That shouldn't be a problem, they'll just wait for you to share it with the world that you're leaving again!

So tell me, are you still willing to post or tweet about your next outing after reading the statistics outlined in this infographic?

Social Media Status Updates Impacting Your Home Security

Be sure to follow us on Twitter at @hyphenet or “Like” us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on the latest tech news.

No comments:

Post a Comment